Friday, August 21, 2009

Essay #6: Sunflower

I went for a drive out in the country this afternoon, one of the perks of not having a job to report to. A park had some lovely red-orange sunflowers.















When I decided on the photo-a-day format, I didn't comprehend what an ambitious undertaking it would be.

It's not easy to produce an image every day that I feel comfortable sharing with the world. I'm never entirely satisfied. A unique challenge I'm grappling with now is a lack of post-processing abilities. I'm blogging from a borrowed laptop, sans photo editing software. Any effects I want have to be achieved on-scene with lighting or performed in-camera.

While frustrating, it's forced me to stretch as a photographer. I've grown so used to clicking away with the mindset of "I'll fix it later" that I've had to change my approach significantly. I have to be more intentional about composition, framing, lighting, exposure, white balance, etc. In a routine dependent on edit, undo, back and rewind, it's rewarding to do something right the fist time.

Specs: 34mm 1/50 f/4.9 ISO 200

No comments:

Post a Comment