Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Essay #3: Triangle



















I hate ironing.

It's not the most despicable chore, but I avoid it when I can. Like a lot of other things that are good for me.

Irons heat fabric until the fibers actually are coming apart at the molecular level-or at least until the bonds are softened. Then it's pressed into submission so that the fibers' bonds reform flat and smooth (or in the perfect pant-leg crease). Stubborn fabrics, such as linen or cotton, require more heat to coax the molecules into loosening. Others are more acquiescing, like silk.

Maybe I hate ironing because I can identify with the fabric. But it's more likely that I'm just lazy.

Specs: 45mm 1/160 f/5.6 ISO 200

1 comment:

  1. My mom used to make me iron my clothes all the time when I was younger. After I burned my arms one too many times on on the dang iron, I decided it would be better if I wore slightly wrinkled clothes. Not only that, but I despise ironing. I probably won't even own one of those things when I have my own house.

    ReplyDelete