Friday, May 28, 2010

A little help?

I haven't posted here in nearly three weeks. I've been trying to figure out why blogging has become such a struggle for me to keep up with. Yesterday I had a revelation: I'm afraid - though not of sharing parts of myself on the internet or of any criticism a post might inspire. I'm afraid of mediocrity.

Why would anyone follow a photo blog of pictures that aren't creative, or if not entirely original in concept at least aesthetically interesting? I feel like there's nothing in my mundane routine right now worthy of capture, so my camera sits in its bag. If I do manage to take a decent image that I'm not too embarrassed to post, then I have to write something insightful to accompany it. After spending my day as a science writer, teasing beauty from the technical, I fear I have nothing left worth sharing. And so I say nothing.

I'd lost sight of my reasons for blogging. I started this blog to challenge myself to see my unemployment situation in a new perspective: possibilities, not limitations. I need to approach this new phase of life in the same way. Because if photography has taught me anything, it's this: If you decide that there's no wonder in the world, you'll never encounter it; but if you go out expecting to meet it, it will greet you from even the most ordinary places.

Here's where you, dear reader (if you're out there), can help me out. Remember when I had themes that spanned over several posts? I'd like you to throw out thematic challenges for me. Song titles? Abstract geometry? Feet? Hopefully the exercise will lead me to explore and appreciate this strange new place. 


7 comments:

  1. I have a feeling that you know I'm a reader. Only by the feet comment. Nice. But please, for the love of everything that is right and holy in this world, do not do a theme on feet.

    Summer is upon us. Why don't you do something that portrays the joys (or woes) of summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,

    I like the song title suggestion, but I think you could explore "summer happiness" as well, especially over this Memorial Day Weekend!

    Your Baltimore reader

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thoughts, Liz. How about candles? smiles? Or Psalms - reading a psalm, what kind of picture does it call for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In honor of Kaitlyn, I recommend 'feet'.

    And honestly... I just want to see your life. That's what my blog is about... my life- so I can look back and remember the 'whens' and the 'hows' and the 'wheres'.

    If you can post a good guitar shot... that would be pretty cool too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! Expect a new post soon.

    And yes, K, I suggested feet just for you. I know the thought of a whole series of foot-relataed photos just fills your heart with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm catching up on blogs tonight. I'm at least three months behind. And I'm posting this to let you know that you do have another reader. Yes, I've been an absent reader, but I consider myself a reader nonetheless, and I hope to not be absent for quite so long again.

    I also want to tell you that I don't think you could be mediocre. Firstly, because of the fact that you are sensitive to mediocrity. You know it exists, and you don't want it. But also because of your view of the world. No one sees things like you. And I am continually inspired by everything you write and say.

    Looking forward to many more posts, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, thanks, Em! I do read your blog too, but as I use Google reader I can't comment. I'll try to make more of an effort to get over to your actual site.

    ReplyDelete